This assessment constitutes 100% of the assessment for the module
This is an individual assessed assignment. There is no objection to students discussing the content and approaches to be adopted but the final submission must be 100% your OWN work. PLAGIARISM WILL BE PENALISED VIA THE UNIVERSITY’S DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURE.
Dead line: 12 Noon, 8th August 2016 – The assignments should be submitted electronically (MS Word file) using Moodle (instructions available on Moodle).
You must also submit assignment on Turnitin on or before the due date (instructions available on Moodle).
All sources should be cited and referenced using the Harvard Referencing system. The principles of the Harvard Referencing system are detailed in the leaflets available in the library. You are NOT allowed to use the general internet references e.g. www.google.com, www.yahoo.com and Wikipedia etc. All references should be from the credible sources e.g. books, refereed papers, articles, journals, magazines etc..
Formative feedback give in seminars to help learners feed forward.
- Use Arial 12 point font.
- 5 line spacing or follow any set regulated spacing.
- Ensure that there is good usage of grammar and correct spelling throughout.
- Neatly present the final work.
Word Limit: 3,000 words ± 10%.
Extensions: There are no extensions granted on the module. Any claim for extenuating circumstances must be made through the official University channel. Read https://icity.bcu.ac.uk/Student-Services/Complaints-and-Appeals for guidance.
Lecture notes and supporting material available on Moodle – BUS6012 Business Operations and Systems Module.
Students are to rework their previous assignment – Resit tutorial session see moodle for date and time. Bring your draft to the session for feedback.
You may find the information for B&M Home Store UK online, in Keynotes in the Library, Company reports, cases online, and the financial press. The literature sources should be books, journals, refereed papers and appropriate online sources. You should find the sources of information that you will use to deliver the three assessment parts within the first four weeks of the course. This is important and failure to complete this task will jeopardise your performance on the module.
B&M was formed in 1978 and they are variety retailers in the UK. B&M operate 450 stores across UK and employs 20,000 workers (http://www.bandmretail.com/).
You should outline the essential components for ‘effective business operations management’ for B&M stores (B&M) in the UK. Use a soft systems methodology to evaluate the issues B&M might face if they decide to introduce facilities to enable their customers to order goods online and have them delivered to the door. Support your discussion with appropriate business operations models (i.e. operation strategy performance (priorities) model, customer value, the service gap model, four v’s profile etc.).
- You should start with what B&M are doing well compare to the sector (why customers turn up to the stores).
- Research the problems they may face going online (the change) using Soft Systems Methodology (critical analysis of need/problem to be solved).
- Support your discussions with appropriate operations models (quality/depth).
You should compare and contrast different models used by the sector in which B&M operates and recommend appropriate solutions for online shopping, make easier for customers to select and buy their products with fully integrated mobile applications (issues to consider centralised/decentralised inventory and delivery chain, customer value chain, cost implications, sustainability etc.).
With reference to the parcel conundrum (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18709348) recommend how B&M should respond to this conundrum (keeping in mind the possible technological and environmental (CO2) impact).
- Your academic enquiry should lead to synthesis of important issues around the problem and solution.
- Critical analysis and evaluation of customer’s digital experience.
- Innovative ways to serve their customers better.
- Consider the services which are unique and benefits to B&M.
- Consider customer value for shopping online.
- Comparison of different solution with costing and choose one solution to take forward with reasoning.
For the new system you should include Root Definition, CATWOE and produce a detailed “Rich Picture” (hand drawn) to fully illustrate your answer. Your rich picture must indicate the problems well as the solution. (Not included in the word count).
By means of a business process plan illustrate the changes including “AS IS” and “TO BE”. Detailed explanations of both plans are required and support your discussions with relevant literature. (Business process plans not included in the word count but explanation is included).
Tips: Structure for part two:
- Rich picture (fully illustrating part one).
- Root Definition (based on your chosen solution).
- Table for CATWOE (this is to test the Root Definition).
- “AS IS” process plan (include brief summer of the process plan).
- “TO BE” process plan (include summery to explain the process plan)
Discuss how the managers would turn performance objectives into operations priorities and the resources that would be necessary for effective implementation of the new process (about six hundred words).
Using a Balanced Scorecard, discuss how the business performance can be measured post implementation (refer to the last three years of company annual reports and any other relevant data for improvement and target trends for B&M). (Balanced scorecard charts are not included in word count but discussion on each prospective is included, about hundred words for each prospective)
Your work should be referenced including in text referencing with appropriate literature and form a logical and concise discussion.