Knowing which career you want to pursue is an important first step to tackling your job search and career goals. However, simply identifying an ideal position will not propel you to obtaining these goals. In order to achieve success, it’s essential to identify the specific action steps you need to take in order to obtain these goals.
For this discussion you will explore the requirements for your potential career path, assess your current skill set, and identify what action steps you can take to make your career goals more attainable. Take these steps to prepare your discussion post. Read the Career Planning Step-by-Step article to better understand the importance of developing a clear career plan.
· American College of Sports Medicine. (n.d.). Exercise and the older adult. Retrieved from http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/exerciseandtheolderadult.pdf
- Watch the Resources for Developing an Effective Career Plan Webinar.
- Review the Roadmap to Success for additional ideas and steps you may want to include in your career plan.
In your Discussion Post:
- Identify your long term goals. Where would you like to be one to five years from now? What is the industry and role you would like to pursue for your career?
- Explore the skills and qualifications related to this type of role. What qualifications do you already possess for this role? Are there new skills, knowledge, certifications, or trainings that you need to be successful? Identify what additional action steps you will need to take to be even more qualified for the position you would like to pursue. Be sure to set reasonable deadlines for these action steps.
- Reflect upon your resources. What barriers do you need to overcome to be successful? Are there individuals in your personal or professional network that can help you?
Your research and claims must be supported by one scholarly source. Use proper APA formatting for in-text citations and references