Why should I care about the shareholders, who I see once a year at the general meeting. It is much more important that I care about the employees; I see them every day.â Attributed to the CEO of Volkswagen in 1983. In 2015, it became apparent that the car maker, Volkswagen, had for years been using illegal software installed in 11 million of its cars worldwide to help the company satisfy emissions standards required by US state testing agencies. When news of this broke, the company faced a global backlash. Can some blame for this deceit be directed towards the company’s governance structure?
Based on your analysis of the crisis, explain whether you think suitable steps have been taken to prevent future scandals of this type. Notes: The Individual Essay calls to investigate a corporate crisis, and whether governance contributed the organisation’s culpability. Students also need to assess the organisation’s response. Emphasis is placed on careful background study.The purpose of the Individual Essay is to do some indepth research on the topics and to take a position and argue and explain why your position has merit. This means that you have to think through what the topic and questions are about, then formulate your position and justify that position, drawing on actual examples. Generating content for this assignment entails critically explaining/ exploring the following:
1. Relevant scholarly/ professional terms drawn from the unit and related studies to explain the situation under scrutiny,
2. A profile of the organisation at the time that the crisis occurred,
3. The circumstances and contributing factors leading up to the case crisis,
4. The key actors involved in the case crisis and their culpability,
5. The organisation’s response to the crisis and,
6. The broader governance lessons one can be learned from the aforementioned. It should be Answered completely while exploring unwritten boundaries while staying relevant. Indepth all rounded understanding. Application of and firm integrated with all relevant materials. High degree independent / critical thinking that is well sustained throughout an exciting read! Demonstrates the ability to be selfreflective, critical assessment of one’s work (a measured, musing level of argument). A seamless structure with balance, crystal clarity & coherency and irrefutable logic